Saturday, October 8, 2011

Travel Gods

As many of you know the Travel Gods do not like me, especially when I'm traveling for pleasure.

This travel woe begins as I was leaving to go home to San Diego for my Mother's "special weekend".  My normal mode of transportation to the airport, NJ Transit but of course on this particular day the trains stalled in between NJ and Penn Station and there were 45 minute delays in and out of the city.  Well, that just isn't going to work so I go with the next best option was the bus.  The last time I took the bus (train delays, wtf NJT) it was pretty easy to negotiate and about the same time to airport as the train.  So this time I figured it would be the same easy experience this time.
So...
I left work at the same time I would for the train (OK, so maybe that was the first wrong idea) and everything was going well till all the tourists got on the bus at Times Square.  Apparently paying for a ticket and getting on a bus is a difficult task.  We're finally off and we only have to go through one light to get into the entrance of the Lincoln Tunnel, but wait it can't be that easy.  Thanks to the UN & Obama being in town we sat at the same light for 30 minutes (OK, so second mistake forgetting about the added traffic they bring). Hello anxiety! I was in desperate need of a zanex.  My flight is scheduled to start boarding in 30 minutes and we haven't even left the island of Manhattan yet.  I think my heart my was going to explode.  Insert me frantically texting my Mother. 
Another 5 minutes then the bus driver starts getting creative and we head into the Port Authority bus terminal so he can use the bus entrance to the tunnel.  Once we get into the tunnel entrance I figure out that there is no actual traffic getting into the tunnel at all, so WTF was up with the random traffic at the f#*king light?  I blame stupid drivers and Obama for unnecessary traffic blunders. 
We blow through the tunnel and head into Newark Airport, its now 4:50ish and my flight leaves at 5:15pm.  But of course my terminal is the last terminal and its la-di-da as we get into the airport drop off area and I'm freaking out inside. 
I finally get inside the terminal and I start running.  I hit the security check point and asked the TSA agent if I could cut the line, she told me to run around to another security check in that had less people and I would actually be closer to my gate.  So take off with my giant duffle bag running around the air port check in counters to the other side and she was right there were only 5 others in line.  Breeze through the ID check and my fellow passengers let me cut them through the security check. 
And I'm off running from gate 70 to my gate 84.  I think I ran into at least 5 people with my bag and when I got close to the gate there was an agent waiting at the edge.  She asked if I was going to San Diego and because I couldn't actually talk I just knotted my head.  The agent checked me and I made it to the gate at 5:10pm. Even better there was actually one person who arrived to the gate after me.

See the Travel Gods hate me, they don't make anything easy for me.  I literally thought I was going to miss my flight and I know that I'm not good at handling set backs like that (do I have to remind you of the Vegas/Delta debacle?). But Thank God I made the flight and it was an easy one at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment