Monday, June 6, 2011

Fantastically Delicious: Baked Bean & Hot Dog Casserole

This is the recipe for one of my FAVORITE Summer Casserole dishes.  My Aunt use to make it all the time and it tastes like my childhood Summer.
I make this recipe multiple times during the Summer and for the first time this Summer on Wednesday night after my closet assault. I burned my arm on my oven (I still have a little burn mark on my arm) and turned my inferno like apartment into a freaking 5-alarm situation. But its so good that I had a bowl at 11:30pm after it had cooled down before I went to bed, THAT's how good it is!
So here it is, I'll make it again this week so I can add a picture..

BAKED BEAN & HOT DOG CASSEROLE

Ingredients:
1 package of 8 or 10 hot dogs (I prefer Nathan's) sliced
1 medium onion (I prefer a vidalia) chopped
2 Tbsp of butter
2 Tsp mustard (I used Dijon)
1/2 Tsp pepper
2 1/2 Cups of baked beans (I prefer Bush's Baked Beans)
1/2 Cup of ketchup
1/4 Cup of firmly packed brown sugar
Sliced Cheese (I prefer Cheddar, but you can use Provolone or American)

Preheat oven to 350.
In skillet cook: butter, sliced hot dogs, chopped onion, mustard & pepper.  Mix well.  Set aside.
In 13x9 casserole dish: Pour baked beans into dish, add ketchup & brown sugar.  Mix well.
Layer hot dogs & onions from skillet evenly over baked beans.
Top with cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes.

Serves 6

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! This was great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. do i have to use brown sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous 2,

    You do not have to use brown sugar, it just makes the casserole a little bit sweeter. I always use it, so I honestly don't know what it tastes like without it.

    Let me know how it goes.

    Good Luck!

    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much cheese should you use

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually use enough cheese to cover the entire dish, about 4-6 slices.

    ReplyDelete